Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Book Review: True Medical Detective Stories by Clifton K. Meador, M.D.


I was excited to receive this book for review.  I am trained to be a RN and I love medical stories.
This well written book tells the stories of 18 different medical detective stories that Dr. Meador has either been involved in or has researched and learned about.  At the end of the book, he has the proof to back up all the stories, which I appreciate.

What I love about this book is that it doesn’t dumb anything down.  Dr. Meador uses medical terminology to label what the body part is, the bruising and other common medical words to help describe the story.  He uses the terminology so freely and unpretentiously, that it aids in his story telling.  This is a book that can easily be read by a non-medical person.

Another thing that I like is that in his story telling, the doctor gives nurses the credit that they deserve! For example, in one story, the nurse recognized the wound, treated it and was able to teach the doctor.  As a nurse, I loved that this story was included in the book.  Yes, it was a medical detective story, and the detective this time was a nurse.

Dr. Meador is a master story teller and this shows in his work.  In a few pages, he can tell you the story, the medical background and the medical findings.  I enjoyed that he wrapped up his stories with a teaching moment, what studies have shown or to describe in more detail the medical examination.  I appreciated this in his story of a school teacher and her class who collapse and it turns out to be a mass psychogenic illness.  He adds up to date information, including a recent long term study in Upper NY.

I only wish that this book was longer, as I enjoyed it so much.

This is a necessary read for anyone who likes to watch reality medical television shows, as each chapter is its own story, which is alike to what is seen in one of those shows. It can be a fast read, as I read it under three hours.  Perfect for rainy day read or an evening by the fire.
Well written, well enjoyed!
5 stars!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for a wonderful review. I am so glad to see you captured the spirit of the book. Please sign me up to get your blogs. I am too old to do that sort of electronis stuff.I am at cmeador@comcast.net. I will enjoy getting your reviews on a regular basis. When You dig out of you book list try Symptoms of Unknown Origin. give me your mailing address and I will send you a copy. Good luck in Haiti,Clifton Meador

    ReplyDelete