Monday, May 7, 2012

Emotional: "I'm an emotional Girl!"


Emotional:  Definition: of or relating to a person’s emotions; arousing or characterized by intense feeling.
                        Synonym: emotive, affective, sensitive, sentimental

Being in touch with your emotions is always an adventure.  It seems that you experience more emotions when you “wear your heart on your sleeve” than others who do not. Emotions are personal, individualistic, private.  I am an emotional person.  I tend to share my emotional journey during the day with whoever I come in contact with.  People can read me and know when something’s up: be it excitement about travelling or nervousness about upcoming test results, or even when I am not feeling good.

Being that kind of person is a blessing and a misfortune.  It is a blessing, as you can always know how I am even if I reply that I am fine. J  It’s a misfortune when I panic and let my emotions lead me, not my head. Does it make me more sensitive?  I don’t think so, I think I am a strong woman, and being an emotional one, makes me human.

I love experiencing emotions.  Good pieces of classical music can have me smiling, crying, laughing, and back to smiling.  A movie that evokes emotion is a good release.  I loved it when J and I went to a play that was very moving, and I found him crying as much as me!  He is a big, tough truck driver, and when his heart is touched, he shows it.  I cry at weddings- nothing is worse than having me read a poem after the bride comes in- I’ve cried all her way down the aisle and look terrible.  Just ask my girlfriend Donna.  Audible laughs come from reading a good comedy book, such as a Christopher Moore book. 

I often wonder about people who claim that they don’t experience emotions, or are not emotional.  Are they human?  Do they know what they are missing?

Today I would like to challenge my readers to be emotional! As they come to you today, go into it, experience it, and learn from it.  We are all unique and they way we each will experience, express and filter our emotions proves it.

“Feelings are not supposed to be logical. Dangerous is the man who has rationalized
 his emotions.” ~ David Borenstien

“ The emotions aren't always immediately subject to reason, but they are always immediately subject to action” ~ William James
 “Music is the shorthand of emotion.” ~ Leo Nikolaevich Tolstoy


1 comment:

  1. I liked this post a lot, Chrissy! Too often we are taught to surpress our emotions, to hide grief, hurt, even joy and laughter. How sad indeed are those folks who walk around like stones with no reflection of the light within them appearing on their faces. Over the years I've learned to better control negative outbursts, saving them for extreme situations in which they are called for, but I will never be one to refrain from feeling, and feeling deeply, every facet of my life. To feel is to be ALIVE! :-)

    ReplyDelete